Wednesday, November 25, 2020

US says all UN sanctions on Iran restored, but world yawns

The Trump administration declared Saturday that all U.N. sanctions against Iran have been restored, a move most of the rest of the world rejects as illegal and sets the stage for an ugly showdown at the world body ahead of its annual General Assembly.

The administration said that its triggering of the “snapback” mechanism in the U.N. Security Council resolution that enshrined the 2015 Iran nuclear deal had taken effect at 8 p.m. Eastern Time. That is 30 days after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo notified the council that Iran was in “significant non-performance” with its obligations under the accord, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, or JCPOA.

“The United States took this decisive action because, in addition to Iran’s failure to perform its JCPOA commitments, the Security Council failed to extend the UN arms embargo on Iran, which had been in place for 13 years,” Pompeo said in a statement released at precisely 8 p.m.

“In accordance with our rights … we initiated the snapback process to restore virtually all previously terminated U.N. sanctions, including the arms embargo,” he said. “The world will be safer as a result.”

The White House plans to issue an executive order on Monday spelling out how the U.S. will enforce the restored sanctions, and the State and Treasury departments are expected to outline how foreign individuals and businesses will be penalized for violations.

“The United States expects all U.N, member states to fully comply with their obligations to implement these measures,” Pompeo said. “If U.N, member states fail to fulfill their obligations to implement these sanctions, the United States is prepared to use our domestic authorities to impose consequences for those failures and ensure that Iran does not reap the benefits of U.N.-prohibited activity.”

But the U.S. move faces stiff opposition from the other members of the Security Council who have vowed to ignore it. They say the U.S. lost legal standing to invoke snapback when President Donald Trump withdrew from the nuclear deal in 2018 and reimposed American sanctions on Iran. The U.S. argues it retains the right to do it as an original participant in the deal and a member of the council.

Even before the U.S. declaration, fellow Security Council members said the declaration had no legal force, calling into question the ability to enforce snapback. Snapback means that international sanctions eased or lifted by the nuclear deal are reimposed and must be enforced by U.N. member states, including hitting Iran with penalties for uranium enrichment to any level, ballistic missile activity and buying or selling conventional weapons.

Those bans were either removed or set to expire under the terms of the deal in which Iran was granted billions of dollars in sanctions relief in return for curbs on its nuclear program.

China and Russia have been particularly adamant in rejecting the U.S. position, but U.S. allies have not been shy either. In a letter sent Friday to the president of the Security Council, Britain, France and Germany — the three European participants who remain committed to the deal — said the U.S. announcement “is incapable of having legal effect and so cannot bring in to effect the procedure.”

“It flows from this that any decisions and actions which would be taken based on this procedure or on its possible outcome would also be incapable of having any legal effect,” they wrote. Thus, the three countries said, the sanctions relief provided by the nuclear deal will remain in place.

Russia’s deputy ambassador to the U.N., Dmitry Polyanskiy, said the U.S. had only isolated itself. “It’s very painful to see how a great country humiliates itself like this, opposes in its obstinate delirium other members of U.N. Security Council,” he wrote on Twitter.

In its own letter to the Security Council on Saturday, Iran said the U.S. move “is null and void, has no legal standing and effect and is thus completely unacceptable.”

U.S. officials have talked tough about their intentions to ensure the sanctions are enforced, but it remains unclear how the administration will respond to being ignored, particularly by its European allies, which have pledged to keep the nuclear deal alive. A wholesale rejection of the U.S. position could push the administration, which has already withdrawn from multiple U.N. agencies, organizations and treaties, further away from the international community.

In the midst of a heated campaign for reelection, Trump plans to address Iran in a speech to the General Assembly’s annual high-level meeting on Tuesday. Officials say he will also touch on his brokering of agreements for Israel and the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain to normalize relations in part to solidify a regional bulwark against Iran.

And, as he seeks to demonstrate statesmanlike credentials ahead of the election, Trump has injected another element of uncertainty into the mix by threatening to retaliate “1,000 times” harder against Iran if it attacks U.S. personnel overseas.

Iran earlier Saturday warned that it may still strike U.S. interests to avenge the death of a top Iranian general in an American airstrike earlier this year. But the head of the country’s Revolutionary Guard Corps mocked a report that it was plotting to assassinate the U.S. ambassador to South Africa, saying Iran’s response would target people directly or indirectly involved in the general’s death.

Amid uncertainty over that, the other 14 members of the Security Council and all but about five of the U.N.’s 195 member states say the U.S. lost its legal standing to act on sanctions when Trump withdrew from the nuclear accord more than two years ago.

Pompeo traveled to the United Nations on Aug. 20 to formally notify the Security Council that the U.S. was triggering snapback because Iran is not complying with the nuclear deal. He dismissed suggestions that the administration was engaged in anything legally questionable or even controversial.

He has said the snapback mechanism was the “one thing that the previous administration got right” in the nuclear deal that Trump has denounced as the worst deal ever negotiated. Yet, aside from Israel and the Gulf Arab states, almost no country in the world agrees with the U.S.

Trump administration officials have been attacking the 2015 nuclear deal for years. They say it is fatally flawed because certain restrictions on Iran’s nuclear activity gradually expire and will allow the country to eventually develop atomic weapons.

Related Articles

Daawo: Laftagareen oo weerar culus ku qaaday musharraxiinta Ku Shirsan Muqdisho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wixsohD0-O4&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3k-ZilOaDoC8j-B_FmJbmjc1qYrkyGrKcRg6g_RGoQ31JYJ4kYKOs-NNw

Argentina’s Maradona, one of soccer’s greatest, dies aged 60

Argentina’s Diego Maradona, widely regarded as one of the world’s greatest footballers, die Beloved in his homeland after leading Argentina to win the 1986 World Cup and adored in Italy after taking Napoli to two Serie A titles, Maradona was a uniquely gifted player and charismatic figure, but also battled demons off the field. Maradona, […]

XOG: Madaxweyne Farmajo oo Amray Cumar Filish abaabulka Shirar & dibadbaxyo ka dhan ah Musharixiinta..

Madaxweynaha Soomaaliya Maxamed C/llaahi Farmaajo ayaa qaaday tallaabadii ugu horeysay ee uu uga jawaabayo culeyska kasoo food saaray musharixiinta u taagan xilka madaxweynaha ee toddobaadkan ku shirayay magaalada Muqdisho. Xogta ay heshay Goobjooge ayaa sheegeysa in Madaxweyne Farmaajo uu guddoomiyaha Maamulka Gobolka Banaadir Cumar Maxamud Maxamed (Filish) ku amray inuu abaabulo shirar iyo dibadbaxyo looga horjeedo musharixiinta Madaxweynaha ee mucaaradka, laguna taageerayo dowladda iyo qorshaheeda Doorashada. Ad Shirarka oo uu maalgelinayo Maamulka Gobolka Banaadir ayaa la filayaa inay Berri degdeg uga ka bilowdaan Hoteelo ku yaalla Muqdisho, waxaana shirka ugu horeeya ka qeyb galaya Odayaasha beelaha Hawiye iyo siyaasiyiinta beeshaasi ee taabacsan Madaxweyne Farmaajo iyo Ra’iisal wasaare Rooble oo qaarkood ay dhowaan kasoo muuqdeen baraha bulshada. Qorshaha ugu horeeya ee uu doonayo Madaxweyne Farmaajo inuu uga hortegayo Musahrixiinta xilka Madaxweynaha ee ka horjeeda ayaa noqday abaabulka siyaasiyiin iyo Odayaal kasoo jeeda Beelahooda, taasoo muujineysa inuusan diyaar u ahayn tanaasul. Dhaqaalaha Gobolka Banaadir ayaa madaxweynayaashii xukunka isaga danbeeyay u adeegsadaan danahooda siyaasadeed xilli aanay caasimaddu helin wax horumarin ah ayna ka muuqdaan dhaawacyadii Roobabkii u danbeeyay u geysteen. Warar Xul ah

Stay Connected

21,097FansLike
2,452FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Latest Articles

Daawo: Laftagareen oo weerar culus ku qaaday musharraxiinta Ku Shirsan Muqdisho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wixsohD0-O4&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3k-ZilOaDoC8j-B_FmJbmjc1qYrkyGrKcRg6g_RGoQ31JYJ4kYKOs-NNw

Argentina’s Maradona, one of soccer’s greatest, dies aged 60

Argentina’s Diego Maradona, widely regarded as one of the world’s greatest footballers, die Beloved in his homeland after leading Argentina to win the 1986 World Cup and adored in Italy after taking Napoli to two Serie A titles, Maradona was a uniquely gifted player and charismatic figure, but also battled demons off the field. Maradona, […]

XOG: Madaxweyne Farmajo oo Amray Cumar Filish abaabulka Shirar & dibadbaxyo ka dhan ah Musharixiinta..

Madaxweynaha Soomaaliya Maxamed C/llaahi Farmaajo ayaa qaaday tallaabadii ugu horeysay ee uu uga jawaabayo culeyska kasoo food saaray musharixiinta u taagan xilka madaxweynaha ee toddobaadkan ku shirayay magaalada Muqdisho. Xogta ay heshay Goobjooge ayaa sheegeysa in Madaxweyne Farmaajo uu guddoomiyaha Maamulka Gobolka Banaadir Cumar Maxamud Maxamed (Filish) ku amray inuu abaabulo shirar iyo dibadbaxyo looga horjeedo musharixiinta Madaxweynaha ee mucaaradka, laguna taageerayo dowladda iyo qorshaheeda Doorashada. Ad Shirarka oo uu maalgelinayo Maamulka Gobolka Banaadir ayaa la filayaa inay Berri degdeg uga ka bilowdaan Hoteelo ku yaalla Muqdisho, waxaana shirka ugu horeeya ka qeyb galaya Odayaasha beelaha Hawiye iyo siyaasiyiinta beeshaasi ee taabacsan Madaxweyne Farmaajo iyo Ra’iisal wasaare Rooble oo qaarkood ay dhowaan kasoo muuqdeen baraha bulshada. Qorshaha ugu horeeya ee uu doonayo Madaxweyne Farmaajo inuu uga hortegayo Musahrixiinta xilka Madaxweynaha ee ka horjeeda ayaa noqday abaabulka siyaasiyiin iyo Odayaal kasoo jeeda Beelahooda, taasoo muujineysa inuusan diyaar u ahayn tanaasul. Dhaqaalaha Gobolka Banaadir ayaa madaxweynayaashii xukunka isaga danbeeyay u adeegsadaan danahooda siyaasadeed xilli aanay caasimaddu helin wax horumarin ah ayna ka muuqdaan dhaawacyadii Roobabkii u danbeeyay u geysteen. Warar Xul ah

Musharixiinta ku shirsan Muqdisho oo sheegay inay arrimo badan ku fashilantay Dowladda Farmaajo

Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest WhatsApp Musharixiinta Madaxweynaha Soomaaliya ayaa Maalintii Shanaad oo xiriir ah waxaa ay kulan ku yeesheen Magaalada Muqdisho, iyaga oo ka hadlayay Arrimaha doorashooyinka iyo walaac ay ka qabaan Guddiyada doorashooyinka. Maanta ayaa qorshuhu ahaa in Shirka la soo geba-gabeeyo, hayeeshee waqti dheeraad ah ayaa lagu daray sababo la xiriira wadatashiyada ay musharixiinta la yeelnayaan qeybaha kala duwan ee Bulshada iyo dadka saameynta leh oo weli socda. Afhayeenka Midowga Musharixiinta Madaxweynaha Ridwaan Xersi Maxamed ayaa sheegay in musharixiinta ay aad uga doodeen, halka dalka uu ku socdo halka uu ka yimid iyo sida laga yeelayo. Sidoo kale waxaa uu sheegay in Maalmihii uu Shirka socday ay isla eegeen waxyaabo badan oo uu sheegay inay ku fashilantay Dowladda Madaxweyne Farmaajo, sida wax ka qabashada Ammaanka, Dhaqaalaha, Dastuurka dalka, iyo maqaamka Muqdisho. Ugu dambeyn Afhayeenka Midowga Musharixiinta Madaxweynaha Ridwaan Xersi Maxamed waxaa uu sheegay in waxyaabihii ay ka hadlayeen maalmihii la soo dhaafay iyo Go’aankooda ay ku sheegi doonaan Warmurtiyeedka ay Maalinta berito ah soo saari doonaan. Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest WhatsApp Previous articleXiisad ka taagan xadka u dhaxeeya Itoobiya iyo Kenya Next articleDagaal ka dhan ah Al-Shabaab oo ka bilowday degaannada Maamulka K/Galbeed.

Dagaal ka dhan ah Al-Shabaab oo ka bilowday degaannada Maamulka K/Galbeed.

Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest WhatsApp Taliyaha Ciidamada qeybta 60-aad ee Ciidamada xoogga dalka Soomaaliyeed Maxamed Sheekh Ciirow ayaa sheegay in degaannada Koonfur galbeed ay ka bilaawdeen diyaar garoow ku aadan howlgal ka dhan ah Ururka Al-Shabaab. Taliyaha oo faah faahiyay kulan dhex-maray Ra’iisul Wasaare Rooble Taliska Ciidamada xoogga qeybta 60aad iyo AMISOM in la isku afgartay in la bilaabo dagaal iyo howlgallo ka dhan ah Al-Shabaab. Waxaa uu sheegay Taliyuhu in Ciidamada xoogga dalka ay la socdaan dhaq dhaqaaqyada Al-Shabaab ay ka wadaan degaannada Koonfur Galbeed, iyada oo la guda galayo xilli doorasho, isla markaana Ciidamada ay u diyaarsan yihiin inay ka hortagaan falalka amni darro oo ay geysan karaan. Dhanka kale Taliyaha Ciidamada qeybta 60aad ee Ciidamadaa ayaa waxaa uu kusoo aadayaa xilli mararka qaar Xubno ka tirsan Ururka AlShabaab ay weeraro ka geystaan degaannada koonfur Galbeed, isla markaana xalay degmada Waajid ay ku dileen Askari ka tirsan Ciidamada dowladda, xaasikiisa iyo Carruurtiisa. Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest WhatsApp Previous articleMusharixiinta ku shirsan Muqdisho oo sheegay inay arrimo badan ku fashilantay Dowladda Farmaajo