Thursday September 24, 2020
The European Union has provided 4.1 million Euros for Sudan, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia, and Uganda for humanitarian support in the wake of the havoc that continues to be caused by flooding.
According to a statement released by the EU on Monday, the funding will be channeled through humanitarian organizations in the East African nations.
This funding is an addition to 3 million Euros in funding allocated by the EU in response to the humanitarian needs of flood victims in Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Uganda.
The EU’s Commissioner for Crisis Management Janez Lenarčič said, “The EU stands in solidarity with the affected people in Sudan, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia, and Uganda. It is evident that the frequency and severity of natural disasters, including flooding, in this region has worsened due to climate change.”
“This only exacerbates an already dire situation for the hundreds of thousands of already vulnerable and food insecure people; our emergency assistance will bring basic and life-saving supplies to them,” he added.
The statement pointed out that the funding will provide emergency shelter and cash assistance to the displaced to meet their immediate needs including food and medicine. It will also be used for water, hygiene, and sanitation support aimed at preventing the outbreak of waterborne diseases.
Out of the 4.1 million Euros, South Sudan will receive 1.4 million, while Sudan, Ethiopia, Somali, and Uganda will receive 1 million, 900,000, 700,000, and 100,000 Euros respectively.
- Shabaab executes man accused of sorcery in Jilib – HOL
- EU and WHO deliver emergency life-saving supplies to flood-affected areas in Somalia – WHO
- 2 police officers shot in Louisville, Ky., as protests over Breonna Taylor’s death continue – AP
- “Firstly, This Is My Country”: Ilhan Omar Hits Back At Trump’s Racist Rally Attack – Now This
- Saudis warn U.N. of oil spot in shipping lane near decaying Yemen tanker – Reuters
- Trump won’t commit to peaceful transfer of power – BBC
- Shaping peace together: Somali youth as change-makers – Unsom
- Forgotten Liverpool starlet who Steven Gerrard loved back on track after injury despair – Liverpool Echo
- Turkey supports Somali hospital with medical equipment – AA
This post first appeared on Hiiraan Online. Read the http://www.hiiraan.com/news4/2020/Sept/180073/eu_donates_4_1_million_euros_for_flood_victims_in_east_africa.aspxoriginal article