Wednesday September 23, 2020
MOGADISHU (HOL) – Mohamed Hussein Roble has been overwhelmingly endorsed by the Lower House as the next prime minister.
Roble got the votes of all the 215 MPs present in the House in a show of confidence by the lawmakers following his appointment last week by President Mohamed Farmaajo.
Prior to the vote which concluded shortly, President Farmaajo appealed to the MPs to give Roble the job in what now ends about two months with no substantive government.
Former deputy prime minister Mahdi Guleid has been on acting capacity as prime minister since his boss Hassan Khaire was removed in a no-confidence motion in late July.
The new Prime Minister will now go ahead to appoint a council of ministers which will also require parliamentary approval.
- Leaders call off protest on Somalia miraa ban – Nation Africa
- Somali parents face dilemma over COVID-19 amid polio vaccination – Anadolu Agency
- Parliament to approve new PM today – HOL
- ‘This Is Personal’: Minnesota’s Somali Americans Fear Reckoning in Second Trump Term – FP
- Al-Shabaab’s improvised explosive device supply chain gambit in Somalia – War on the Rocks
- Ramla Ali signs multi-fight promotional deal with Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing – Sky Sports
- Reconciliation In Marka: Foes turned friends recall road to peace – UNSOM
- ‘She’s telling us how to run our country’: Trump again goes after Ilhan Omar’s Somali roots – Politico
This post first appeared on Hiiraan Online. Read the http://www.hiiraan.com/news4/2020/Sept/180060/all_mps_present_endorse_mohamed_roble_as_new_pm.aspxoriginal article