The boat Alan Kurdi from the German non-governmental organization Sea-Eye will disembark in Sardinia on Friday, the 125 migrants rescued on board.
After leaving for France, the humanitarian ship Alan Kurdi was to board on Friday 25 September in Sardinia, the 125 migrants on board, according to NGO Sea-Eye.
“Alan Kurdi has just been assigned a ‘safe harbor’ by the MRCC in Rome (coordination center for rescue at sea, the editor’s remark). This is the city of Olbia in northern Sardinia,” said Gorden Isler, leader of the Bavarian NGO chartering the boat. told AFP.
The ship will reach the port on Friday at 6 (GMT) and be able to disembark from those rescued at sea, including children, he added.
In Rome, the Italian Interior Ministry claimed to have authorized the boat to board people.
“The European redeployment process was launched at the same time as the authorization for these requests (to protect and rise the migrants, the editor’s remark): 80% of the rescued migrants will be transferred to other European countries,” the Italian ministry assured in a press release.
Italian Interior Minister Luciana Lamorgese made it clear that only 25 of the migrants aboard Alan Kurdi would remain in Italy.
France had asked Italy on Wednesday to allow Alan Kurdi to dock, who rescued 133 people in the Mediterranean on Saturday while on his way to the French port of Marseille, without being able to land on the Italian coast.
However, eight people, including a five-month-old baby, had been evacuated by the Italian Coast Guard. More than 50 minors are still on board the boat, many of them unaccompanied minors, according to Sea-Eye.
Young children are also on board, but the situation among those rescued is described as “stable” by NGOs.
“Although a few people have been treated for seasickness, there are no serious problems on board,” says Sea-Eye.
Italy and Malta in the front line
The principle of disembarking survivors in the nearest “safe harbor”, enshrined in international maritime law, generally means that during rescue operations in the central Mediterranean, this first reception is entrusted to Italy or Malta.
French government spokesman Gabriel Attal said on Wednesday that the Sea-Eye boat would be “accommodated in the nearest safe harbor”, with France implicitly refusing to allow the ship to land in Marseille.
“Since the beginning of the migration crisis, France has never shied away from its responsibility to receive people in need who can present themselves at Europe’s borders,” Gabriel Attal added, and she “will continue to share this welcome.”
This request from France came on the same day as the European Commission presented a “European Pact on Migration and Asylum”, which specifically provides for a solidarity mechanism to be triggered in the event of a rescue at sea. that is, it requires countries to voluntarily liberate Italy and Malta.
Increase in intersections
In this comprehensive catalog of measures that still have to be submitted to the twenty-seven vote, Brussels also recommends that NGOs that come to the aid of migrants in need be protected from prosecution.
In 2020 saw an uptick in the central Mediterranean of boats loaded with candidates for exile to Europe, departing from Libya or Tunisia.
Between January and the end of July, cross-border attempts from Libya increased by 91% compared to the same period last year to a total of 14,481 people. Those who left Tunisia jumped 462%.